Regrets, I have a few :-(

Hello List and Frank,

In my own defense:

I wanted to take the opposite side of an argument, and see if
it would ellicit a stream of opinions, and views.  I will always assume an
unpopular side of any argument,
regardless if it is fruitful for me or not.

These exact words are not mine.  They belong in quotations, as they are
Frank Stroik's in his message titled Oppositon:  Conducive in any Argument.
I have expressed these same sentiments on, I believe, at least one occasion
on the list.

I was so thrilled Frank was back, based upon these words, I thought I was
responding in the flavor he had wished to ellicit -  challenging him to
watch his own words carefully with regard to the oxymoron he expressed.  And
now that I think about it, the word oxymoron, though common, may appear
inflammatory to some.  I should have used the word paradox.

There are two aspects of this:

1. The irony, for those interested on this level, of his calling for an
argument for the sake of argument (ellicit a stream of opinions and views),
formerly a typical strategy of mine, and I suspect I am not alone.  I found
his challenge intellectually irresistably inviting.   He was quite active
when I joined the list and I thought of him as 'one of the guys'.  And
although Frank does not mention my post specifically, but refers to the
'money' issue which represented the main thread,  I am quite sure that mine
was not perceived in the spirit
in which it was intended.

2.  The timing of his post:  In apparently an unpopular opinion, I regarded
the astronomy club's ban as more exigent than most everyone else, for which
I also apologize, as I thought we should stop the chatter, and posturing
(admittedly posturing myself in the process of irony)  and concentrate on
a massive bombardment of letters to this Board of Directors.  (I have not
yet heard Al's voice mail.  I do know he was a founder of that very
astronomy club.)

What I am very guilty of , is using my delete button when I see the nature
of the text is in the realm of personal attack/name-calling.  I have
subsequently been apprised that the content of many of the intermingled
posts was something we have been trying to avoid and that we may be in
danger of becoming the image that some have of us if  we are not careful.

I deeply regret the specific denouement into which this melange of messages
has plummeted and my contribution to it.

Sincerely,
Julia

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: