Re: Close-Call Asteroid Coming

>Hello all,
>    I would disagree about the casualty level.
>Two factors would be what the 1 km diam asteroid was made of, and if it
>impacted ocean or land.  If it impacted land, at worst, I bet it would only
>kill people within 100 or 200 km or so.  Millions only if in a populated
>area.           D Futrell>

I think the original object was 2km in diameter (1999AN10)

Also, 100 or 200 km. Well, perhaps for the concussion and heat wave,
perhaps,
perhaps not, I simply don't have the equations to work it out. But don't
forget  the seismic shock that will flatten cities from very far away. That
earthquake would be devastating and greatly add to the casualty level.

Most important is the dust and crop failure that would follow. Much of
Earth's farmland is hardly sustainable, as any drought or Third World
country can tell you, imagine what a year-long frost and clouded skies can
do.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: