Re: Meteorites are just rocks

Dear List and Calvin;
Meteorites are different than the world class petrified wood that I
hunt/collect.  They are more rare than the big gold nuggets that I  have
hunted so long for.  I cant find a spot to file a claim on diamonds locally
(although they are here) and I can't file a claim on meteorites either, and
they are here too!  I hunt dinosaur bone and chondrites, cycads and
pallesites, pretty stones and SNC'S.   Meteorites are sometimes more and
sometimes less than:  unique, special, pretty rocks!   Bring on the Zagami.
Dave Freeman

Calvin Shipbaugh wrote:

> What's all the excitement about meteorites? Maybe there's just a lot of
> enthusiastic hype about selling and keeping-up-with-the Jones's. 'My
> Gibeon's more gnarly than yours.' Someone tell me why you think its
> worth giving meteorites a second thought. What makes them click for
> *you*?
>
> Rare? Hundreds of tons have been identified. There must be a thousand
> times as much sitting out there waiting to be found. Doesn't sound so
> rare.
>
> Few reliable source fields or methods to retrieve them?  Modern
> acceptance of their nature came late but then lot's of meteorites showed
> up with farmers, and Nininger...  then there was Antarctica.  Then
> Sahara.  Think the new places and ways of extracting them are at end? I
> doubt it.
>
> Valuable?  Why?  Are they an industrial ore? Are they prettier than gem
> quality stones? Do they teach us how to grow more crops? Scientific
> value maybe? Can you prove any have fossils from elsewhere? You mean we
> have to send a probe to check that out? Could have thought of that
> without meteorites.
>
> So a meteorite is a stone that fell to ground later than sooner. The
> Earth is just one big meteorite.
>
> How important is it that this H5 has chondules this size, or that H5 has
> a different color matrix? You've seen one H/L/5/6 you've seen 'em all. I
> want to hear why that's wrong. So there are new meteorite types found
> now and then.  What's so special about a brachinite anyway, has it
> changed our picture of the solar system? Never heard of one from another
> part of the galaxy.
>
> Perhaps you like meteorites because you think they look wild? Maybe you
> like fusion crust and think it is the neatest thing?  Maybe I think it
> is waste surface that been's destroyed.  Maybe you like being able to
> slice them thin and show off lots of surface area and features?  Maybe I
> think they're more apt to deteriorate all in the name of show.
>
> So Tut wore LDG and had a dagger. We can make nicer tools, and a lot of
> ornanments today. Tektites and meteorites carry some special meaning
> beyond the casual scientific, beyond the immediate sales price, and
> (maybe even) beyond the sheer joy of being different.
>
> I know meteorites are more than  Pet Rocks circa 2000 to members of the
> list. I'd like to hear more of the stories "why", more of the reasons
> for caring.

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html
>
> For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: