Re: Eric Smart - unsubscribe or be unsubscribed

>Hello Phil,
>
>You seem to have quite missed the point.  I am in agreement with Voltaire's
>statement in a general context as well, but he was not on this list, and I
>suspect would have been the first to see the difference between posting
>serious reference to Art Bell's radio show on this list and the scientific
>nature of the essence of the list.

Hi Julia,

I think you have missed the point. If you are going to open up the media to
the public for public discussion then you can hardly whinge when the public
want to discuss something that is either not to your liking or against your
personal beliefs.

>|Seriously though, where would we draw the line?
>
>Surely you are not suggesting we do not have any scope of intent for
>inclusion on this scientifically oriented list?

Aw c'mon! Quite a bit of our mail has little or no scientific content. We
have people cracking jokes, sniping at one another, selling things.....and
by and large I don't mind that. If all we did was talk about science then
this list would be soooo boring!

>|I have a much simpler method. Anyone I think is an idiot or a waste of
time
>|is put on my "Delete from server" list, so my mail programme does not even
>|download their messages.
>|
>Then we may as well do that with spammers as well.

I do. Do you not?

> People hate being ignored!
>|Yes , however, that was not the case here.  That is certainly an option
>from here on out, but it would have to be followed by everyone and that is
>not likely.

Yes, but if people want to respond then that is up to them. Some people
enjoy it! I would be the last person on Earth to stop them.

>I would love to discuss the X-Files but I daresay, that should not be
tolerated on this list.

Oh no! ANYTHING but the X-Files! Now, what were you saying about getting
people taken off this list ;-)

All best,

Phil Bagnall
www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk