Re: Eric Smart - unsubscribe or be unsubscribed

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Bagnall <phil@ticetboo.demon.co.uk>
To: jjswaim <MissionControl@email.msn.com>; meteorite-list
<meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Friday, June 18, 1999 7:44 AM

|I'd have to disagree with Julia on this one.
|
|I would go along with Voltaire (though you don't see him posting much to
|this list!): "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death
|your right to say it." (Er...leave out the death bit. There's no point in
|going over the top).

Hello Phil,

You seem to have quite missed the point.  I am in agreement with Voltaire's
statement in a general context as well, but he was not on this list, and I
suspect would have been the first to see the difference between posting
serious reference to Art Bell's radio show on this list and the scientific
nature of the essence of the list.

|Seriously though, where would we draw the line?

Surely you are not suggesting we do not have any scope of intent for
inclusion on this scientifically oriented list?

Do we block messages from
|people who do not accept fossilized life in Martian meteorites?
Or who
|disagree with impact-extinction hypotheses?

Game point. USA.  (Missed it, Chappy)  We do not want to stifle disagreement
or pertinent questions, or even, for the sake of the human touch, the
occasional interjection of humor.

Or who keep asking the sort of
|questions they could easily get from a book?

This is one of the problems we face today with young people.  They have less
and less interaction with other people.  This may be a cyber world, but the
people on this list have created a wonderfully rich environment, making it
very real.

Or who feel that traders are
|making too much money from meteorites? Do we really want to become elitist?

You pose this question after contriving an absurd argument.

|I have a much simpler method. Anyone I think is an idiot or a waste of time
|is put on my "Delete from server" list, so my mail programme does not even
|download their messages.

Then we may as well do that with spammers as well.

|And can you remember the school bully? Someone who, when they were not
|itching for a fight, would take great pleasure in taking the p*** out of
|you? The best way to deal with them was not to respond.

A little difficult to respond when you're unconscious and suppine:-)

 People hate being
|ignored!
|Yes , however, that was not the case here.  That is certainly an option
from here on out, but it would have to be followed by everyone and that is
not likely.

I would love to discuss the X-Files but I daresay, that should not be
tolerated on this list.

Best Regards,
Julia
|www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk
|

|>I never thought I would be saying this, but I think we should inundate Art
|>Jones with requests to remove Eric Smart from this list.  This kind of
|>material is pervasive on the net.  Anyone interested can easily find it.
|>The quality of this list - it's integrity and credibilty - are at stake.
|>Do we want to attract more of these discussions from people who stumble on
|>to our list and see this material being discussed here???

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: