Re: Search meteorites in desert

I have just returned from  a grueling four days at Gold Basin where me and my frined Jack Schrader pulled out almost two kilos. I
found 860 grams in 20 pieces, the largest, a nice complete stone weighing 209 grams. Ill assure anyone that meteorites can be found in
known strewnfields but it takes some serious work and LOTS of luck and Gatoraid!
Mike Farmer

Michael Blood wrote:

> Lin Xiaohui wrote:
> >  Who have the experience of searching meteorites in desert? Whether it is easy to find meteorites in desert? please let me know.
> >  Thanks, Lin Xiaohui
> ---
> Lin & Listees -
>         I have searched in the desert, in the mountains, etc. In my experience
> - and from everything Ihave heard from everyone who has found meteorites
> - it is NEVER "easy" (though, I SUSPECT it was relatively easy in
> Holbrook immediately following the great fall of 1912. I would also
> suspect it is VERY easy IF you happen to be in the middle of an
> extremely dense fall of Eucrites with 1/2 inch of fresh snow on the
> ground - but I never heard of that happening).
>         If it were "easy" (anywhere) they would be MUCH cheaper! I have
> searched at least 7 different strewn fields. The one I spent the most
> time in was Correo, as I knew someone who found one there - and my
> nephew found one the FIRST day. It took me over 56 hours of ACTUAL time
> searching Correo to find one specimen (MANY additional travel hours &
> expenses). It is 11.18g. If my time were worth MINIMUM WAGE, that would
> make Correo worth 26.50 per gram IF you don't count travel & expenses.
>         I have also heard of people pulling into the Gold Basin strewn field,
> opening the car door and picking up a specimen right at their feet - but
> I sure wouldn't count on it. I've been there 3 times, always with at
> least one other hunter & once with 6 - no one I was with found ANY.
>         The stories Steve Shoner has told me about hunting Glorietta lead me to
> believe he is GIVING that stuff away at $8/g.
>         Anyone elso on the list know of ANYWHERE it is "easy" to find
> meteorites? (if so, LET'S GO!)
>         Best wishes, Michael

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html