Re: odd meteorite on eBay

Hello List,

I recently emailed the owner with questions/concerns and here was his reply:

-Walter

Thank you for your comments.
This specimen was brought to us on consignment and, although it sure
looks like a meteorite to the "untrained" eye (and I admit I am not an
expert), we are not absolutely sure that it is a meteorite. My brother,
however, was just in to visit the Harvard museums this past weekend, and
he says there are three meteorites on display there that are labelled
"pallasites" and they are identical in appearance to what we have.
I also understand that there are quite a few university museums that
test samples for free, and I will encourage the new owner to do just
that. However, for now, I am simply selling an item of merchandise that
is a "potential" meteorite. It does have a slight magnetic pull, and it
was found over 20 years ago in an area that has yielded other
meteorites. We'll let the new owners have this piece tested and if it
proves to be a meteorite, they will have risked a small amount of money
and made a lot.

Branch Meteorites and Tektites
322 Stephenson Ave., Suite B
Savannah, GA  31405 USA