Re: Geo vs Astro chemistry was Asteroid, Comet, etc. question

Hi Robert
Yes that is correct there is not a mineral species, Josephinite accepted by
the Commission on New Minerals and Mineral Names of the International
Mineralogical Association.  The only reference I have is as follows:

Fleischer, Michael, Glossary of Mineral Species, 1983
indicates that Josephinite = Nickel-Iron, see Awaruite, Kamacite, Taenite,
Tetrataenite.
As I said before probably a mixture of several minerals.
Tetrataenite as a species was probably described in 1980.  A reference for
this is American Mineralogist 1980  vol. 65 pp 624-630.  I suspect the this
would clear up the confusion over when Josephinite was discredited.  I do not
have access to this information.  If any one does please send it along if it
is pertinent to this conversation.
In any case it was discredited sometime before 1983.  I hope that clears it
up.
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites

Archives located at: