Re: Campos?

In a message dated 01-Dec-99 10:30:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Meteordealer@aol.com writes:

<< I have a question regarding these new thumbprinted Campos that are
flooding
 the market. Have any of them ever been tested and confirmed to be paired
with
 Campo or is it just assumed that they are because they were found so close
 the Campo strewnfield? >>

    The original question was if the new campos had been tested to see if
they were the same as the old campos.  I can't answer that, but I can say I
have seen slices of both and the etch patterns appear to be the same.   It is
certainly reasonable for them to be the same based upon that unscientific
observation.
     The new campos definitely present an improved appearance over the old
campo rust balls.   I had the pleasure of seeing the campos Jim and Mike
bought not long after they had "finished" carrying them up to Mike's third
floor apartment (excellent timing ;-) on my part).   I second Jim's opinion
that they look as good as the Gibeons.   My two favorites were the 37.6 kg
piece on eBay right now, it is really a killer piece, and an 11.6 kg piece
that I took home that looks every bit like a dirty sikhote-alin.   It is
completely 100% regmaglypted with ½ to ¾ inch thumb prints.   If  it was
clean and gun metal blue everybody would call it a sikhote-alin without a
second thought.   The new campos do look nice.
      The concern with a flood of material is that it will drive down prices.
 Good heavens!  Jim and Mike are only asking 10 cents per gram for this
material.   Is there anybody out there that wants to sell me Canyon Diablo or
Odessa for that?   I know there are many times more of these than the campos,
yet the price is higher for lesser quality material.   New campos may show up
for years, but as Gibeon has shown the supply is not unlimited.   If you buy
a piece you love what difference does it make if you are up or down a penny
next year.   Eventually these great pieces will also disappear from the
market.

Eric Olson

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: