Re: Bernd: Meteor May Not Have Destroyed Dinosaurs Afterall?

>To suggest that impact debris could remain suspended in the atmosphere for
>many years is absurd. Rocket experiments by several nations during the 1970s
>showed that even very small particles - about the size of cigarette smoke -
>take only about 8 weeks to descend from the ionosphere to the troposphere
>before raining out of the system.

In these experiments, was 100% of the particles accounted for, or was
just a percentage of the particles detected to come down?

Impact debris from Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 on Jupiter was still visible
in Jupiter's upper atmopshere a year after the impact.   The particles
were visible from Earth (~450 million miles away) on a planet with
many times more gravity than Earth.   If particles can stay in the
atmosphere of a giant planet for a year, I don't see why particles
can't stay suspended for years in the atmosphere of a much smaller planet.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: