Re: Millions of comets coming

dean bessey schrieb:

> The 540 AD date I find interesting since he argues that China and
> Europe had strange things happening at the same time. The author
> believes it to be comets.

Yes, very interesting. Meteoritics 29, 1994, pp. 864-871 has a
contribution by Kevin Yau, Paul Weissman and Donald Yeomans about
"Meteorite falls in China and some related human casualty events".

The authors analyze all reported meteorite falls for the frequency of
occurrence in China between about 700 B.C. and A.D. 1920 but they don't
mention the year 540 A.D. because  r e l i a b l e  reports from China
date back to A.D. 1300 only.

Prior to A.D. 1300, nearly all of the records come from the official
h i s t o r i e s  which included mostly astronomical records derived
from the daily reports prepared by court astronomers with only a few
reports from outside the capital.

There is a report about a meteorite said to have fallen 616 - Jan. 14:
A large shooting star like a bushel fell onto the rebel Lu Ming-yueh’s
camp. It destroyed his wall-attacking tower and crushed to death more
than 10 people.

And another about structural damage on 588 June 25:

During the casting of iron at the East Foundry, a red-colored object as
large as several peck measures fell from the sky into the melting-pot.
It was accompanied by rumbling noises like thunder. The [melted] iron
flew over the wall and burned people's houses.

Both dates are still a long way away from the 540 A.D. date mentioned
above, though Delta T is "only" 48 a for the 588 A.D. event.

KUMLEHN M. (1987) Transcription of the names of China's ancient
meteorites (Meteoritics 22-2, 1987, pp. 137-149):

Kumlehn mentions a meteorite shower in 559 A.D. (Sanpo) and another in
565 A.D. (Yecheng) - still 19 and 25 years off the mark.

> If it was comets ...

Well, there was a comet but it appeared 530 A.D. - ten years too early.
This comet was mentioned in the History of the Northern Wei-dynasty that
compiled in 572 A.D.
It was also observed in Byzantium as something huge and terrifying
entailing drought and increased mortality. And that dreadful comet
was ... HALLEY !

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at: