Fwd: Campo del Cielo Meteorites - Official Argentine GovernmentNotice

Be advised! For those of you who think GATT and NAFTA were terrible, I
believe that there are procedures in place, thanks to our (still)
out-of-control Federal government, where our homes can actually be
invaded on behalf of foreign governments seeking the recovery by
confiscation of contraband goods such as, apparently, at least one
Argentine meteorite.  I first ran into this incredible situation
regarding pre-Colombian antiquities acquired from Mexico with whom the
U.S. also has a treaty permitting the same action as outlined by the
attached Argentine provincial government message.  'Nuff said, Joel

-- BEGIN included message

We remind that according to law, all meteorites
proceeding from CAMPO DEL CIELO are considered
property of the Argentine republic.  Consequently, it
is absolutely forbidden to take them out of the
country.  The infringement of this disposition
implies, according to international treaties in force,
that Argentina has the right to confiscate any piece
coming from the mentioned field, in whichever country
it may be found, for subsequent transfer to its place
of origin, reserving the right to take the
corresponding legal actions.

GOBERNACION DE LA PROVINCIA DEL CHACO
PODER JUDICIAL
DELITOS FEDERALES