Sunday church news

Dear congregation:

Have you ever been belittled and berated by "Christians" while explaining or
lecturing on the ages and origins of meteorites?  I'm talking about those
folks that are sure that the world is 6,000 years old, that there are no
dinosaurs because "they fell off of the ark".

I live in Ft Myers, Florida, and like many other regions of the world where
religious fundamentalism is growing as fast as SAT score's are falling, a
vocal majority (we're outnumbered here) is taking over the schoolboard,
insisting on teaching creationism and the Bible in the public schools and
mocking "the big bang theory" ("Big Bang Theory? You must be kidding!" - GOD,
--- sole words on a local church advertisement), and by sheer numbers
overwhelming the editorial pages of the local paper with their "facts".

Today's paper came with a complete denunciation of evolution and the
scientifically accepted theories on the formation of the Universe and Earth.
I'd like to refute this "information" and learn something in the process.
Some of the writer's "facts" are so twisted ("evolution brought a 4.6 billion
year-old Earth, granite, which was 100 million years in the making") but some
of the other data are beyond my expertise and I'm looking for some help:

"Circular thinking determines the age of fossils by the Geologic Column, and
the age of rocks by the placement of the fossils in the Column."

- What is this "Geologic Column"?  Aren't rocks and fossils also dated like
meteorites, i.e. measurable radioactive isotopic ratios?  How are sedimentary
layers dated?

"Granite contains the radioactive Polonium Halo (PO 218), which has a
measurable life span of mere seconds, indicating that granite formed very
rapidly or was created".

- Polonium Halo (PO 218)? What is that?

Lastly, to give you the tone of the "discussion", let me share his
conclusions-

"One may accept that man came from the goo to you by way of the zoo, but it
should not be taught as fact.  Society's ills are seated in the deadly fruit
of evolutionism."

Begging your forgiveness for the slightly off-topic vesper, I pray that one
of the list disciples can break some bread with me and show me the the way to
eternal knowledge.

Forever and ever, Amen

Kevin Kichinka

Archives located at: