[meteorite-list] UA Science Team Readies For NEAR Landing

From: Stuart Forbes <stuart.forbes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:07 2004

>I'm not sure where you got your information, but some of it is incorrect.

Gene Cernan's autobiography. "The Last Man on the Moon". p133 : "the
spacecraft needed more points and rails to grab. With out which (future
spacewalkers) would flop around like a rag doll"

Gene Kranz's autobiography states that Gemini 9 had "limited restraints and
inadequate footholdings"

Sure he had some handholds, but not enough for work is space, as movement
was restricted by his spacesuit. In places, he couldn't reach, and so
Newton's 3rd Law took over.

Also from an interview with Jim Lovell where when he talked about Cernan's
experience and the difficulties he had on Gemini 9 he said "Everyone forgot
Newton's 3rd Law", and explained how without handholds you bounce off! So
are you saying Jim Lovell's wrong and you're right ?

And why did his visor fog up? He was overheated from the physical exertion
required to get the short distance to the back of the spacecraft because he
had inadequate restraints! In 2 hours and 10 mins he only got to the back of
the spacecraft and back with some of that time trying to start up the
backpack.

So Ron, I'll put that quote straight back to you:

I'm not sure where you got your information, but some of it is incorrect.

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland
stuart.forbes_at_dial.pipex.com