[meteorite-list] Greatly impacted lakes

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:13 2004

Dear Listees with crater knowledge;

How about a brief thread noting any thoughts on the Great Lakes being
ORIGINALLY created by meteorite impact (s) rather than glaciation? I am
just a giant sucking sound of curiosity. I am curious about direction,
angle of impact (s), and the suspected size and type of meteorite.
List response or private responses welcomed. Or, others can offer a
thought.
Are there any other large lakes in North America suspected of being
formed by impacts, such as the Finger Lakes of New York State, Great
Bear Lake?
Would my platinum specimen from Nye, Montana's Stillwater Complex be
called meteorite related by any name?
I thirst for great information on the great impact lakes...
Best wishes,
Dave Freeman