[meteorite-list] List behavior

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:13 2004

SaharaTeam_at_aol.com wrote:
> It seems strange this implication of the NASA in the promotion
>of NWA meteorites. Can we obtain a confirmation, or is it, once
>again, a false information from this dealer?
>Best regards,
>Richard & Roland Pelisson
----------------------------------
Dear Richard and Roland,
        Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but your "regards" seem
substantially less than "best."
        All dealers seem to, at least at some time, have "issues"
with other dealers - a transaction gone bad, a misunderstanding,
indescrete comments, etc. However, this is NOT the place to be making
blatantly derogatory remarks about dealers - or ANY member of this list,
for that matter.
        These kind of accusations can go on indefinately and tend to
generate back lash, counter accusations and degenerate VERY QUICKLY into
name calling, etc.
        We really don't want to hear it.
        There is a special "list" that was created by/for those who
care to engage in this behavior - and/or to read about it. It is called
the meteorite collectors' group and you, and all others so inclined, are
welcome to make such posts day in and day out to your hearts' content.
Please do NOT use this list to do so.
        To post to, or to join this other group, please go to:
meteoritecollectors_at_egroups.com
        There is, occasionally, some interesting information posted
via this other "newsletter" and it is NOT exclusive to critical
posts. Some individuals feel there is a very important element of
"freedom of speach" and the like involved - and I, personally, quite
agree with this perspective (as long as out & out slander is not
involved) and I am glad such a venue is available. HOWEVER that is not
what this list is for. Information is actually posted
there regularly & membership to this other newsletter does
NOT make one anything other than interested in reading all
there is (as opposed to limiting one's self to "all there is that's
fit to print").
        History has repeatedly proven that a large majority of
the people on this list do NOT want to hear criticism, insults,
name calling, mud slinging, politically and financially motivated
"trash talking" B.S. PERIOD.
        It is ALSO against the official list rules and continued
practice of same has led to the (sometimes very LONG)
suspension of those who repeatedly violate this rule.
        We have lost valuable members of this list in the past due
to this behavior, as they simply were unwilling to be exposed
to it. That was not why they were here - and it is not why the
vast majority of us are here. There IS an arena where it is tollerated -
please use it - and stop using us.
        Sincerely, Michael Blood