[meteorite-list] List behavior

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:13 2004

<< We really don't want to hear it......Please do NOT use this list to do so.

Michael, at the risk of taking issue with one of the "Founding Fathers" ;-)
of the list, does the current topic really deserve banishment to the other
list? Most listees were getting weary of the childish and profane
namecalling a while back, to be sure, but I think there's also a danger in
swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction, and instinctively
wanting to remove anything that could remotely be considered controversial.
As long as the discourse is essentially civil (and hasn't it been, so far?)
and doesn't degenerate into personal pettiness, is there anything wrong with
addressing sensitive issues in a direct fashion? I have absolutely no idea
who's right and wrong in all this bizarre NWA/Sahara business, but I DO know
that honesty and integrity (and the lack thereof) are serious issues in the
meteorite world, and shining the light of day into dark corners is always a
good thing, even if it gets a little edgy in the process.

We've all had no problem mentioning and criticizing a certain dealer in
Connecticut, in fact you've been particularly vocal about that, Michael.....
is there a compelling reason why the subject of potential dishonesty
elsewhere in the business is taboo?

Gregory