[meteorite-list] Another eBay scam?

From: Charlie <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

Rocks purchased from an Arizona rock shop, sold as "meteorites" on eBay,
"as-is, no guarantee". A wondrous meteorite from Mars containing a
genuine fly from the planet Mars, offered on eBay. Fragments of Mir
which have dragged themselves across thousands of miles of ocean floor,
seeking refuge in sunny California. Offered on eBay. Some of these we
can laugh at. Some, like the guy selling "no-guarantee" meteorites from
Arizona, may make us shake our heads in wonder when we see them actually
sell. Haven't seen him in awhile. Maybe he finally ran out of
"meteorites". And some may sadden us when we realize the delusions to
which some unfortunate souls are subject. And still other meteorwrongs
have been honest mistakes, withdrawn from bidding thanks largely to
letters to the sellers from the educated folks on this list.

When I saw this particular auction today, I felt genuine anger, maybe
for the first time, despite the many other meteorwrongs that have
preceded it on eBay. My reaction was "who do you think you are, remove
yourself and your rock from the eBay meteorite community."
That's my version of being "irritated just a tad".
Ron's letter to this seller went right to the point.
Answer the questions which any seller of a real meteorite would not
hesitate to answer. I just sent the seller a message myself, suggesting
he provide those answers. Of course, he's not going to be able to do
that, is he? I hope others prod him enough until his listing is
removed.
Many of us have publicly shared our eBay names. That's a form of
community fellowship is it not? Just as the meteorite-list is.

Best wishes,
Charlie