[meteorite-list] Classifying meteorites. HELP!

From: Graham Christensen <majorvoltage_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:26 2004

Hello list,
I haven't posted in a while, I have been busy with school work and I just
got my report card (81% in physics :). I just got a whole bunch of
unidentified meteorites from Northwest Africa that were sent to me by Simon
de Boer (Thanks again Simon :) and I want to try classifying them. I need
suggestions/tips/general rules about how to identify them. I am pretty sure
they are all ordinary chondrites, they all have metal flake and chondrules
except for a few badly weathered ones. Are there any keys for meteorites
like there are for identifying insects and plants? Many of them don't look
like any of the ones in my collection and photos on the internet don't show
the fine details so I really have nothing to compare them to. I have some
guesses on some of them but I would rather go about this scientifically. One
of them has a few giant chondrules or inclusions in it. And one has so much
metal in it it almost looks like a mesosiderite but with chondrules. A few
of them have armoured chondrules, those are really neat. Any information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Graham Christensen
majorvoltage_at_hotmail.com