[meteorite-list] re: Campo de Cielo impact - 17 February, 2325 BCE?

From: marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:29 2004

Ed Grondine wrote:

> While working through Mayan records for accounts of
> impact events, I found a set of inscriptions which
> appear to refer to 2 impacts at "Matawil", the first
> major one, a "tzuk", occuring on 25 October, 2360 BCE,
> and the second minor one a "conjuring of the gods"
> occuring on 25 February, 2325 BCE:
>
> http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/ccc/ce010702.html
>
> Is this consistent with the data on Campo de Cielo?
>
> best wishes -
> ed

Hi Ed,

Yes and no. The date would not be irreconsilable (although the match difficult
to prove, given dating uncertainties), see some previous replies. But it would
surprise me if CdC would be noted by Maya sources, given the distance between
the Mayan empire and CdC. To put it in perspective, that would be something
akin to linking a Viking source from Northern Europe mentioning an impact to an
impact event in central Africa. It would have to invoke special pleading in the
sense of an argument that news of the impact reached the Mayan empire after
cross-cultural transmission over a very large distance.

- Marco