[meteorite-list] [OT] About Time + Tucson 2002

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:06 2004

> As the clock ticks over from 8:01PM on Wednesday, February 20th,
> 2002, time will (for sixty seconds only) read in perfect symmetry. To
> be more precise: 20:02, 02/20, 2002. It is an event which has only
> ever happened once before, and is something which will never be
> repeated. The last occasion that time read in such a symmetrical
> pattern was long before the days of the digital watch (or the 24-hour
> clock) at 10:01AM, on January 10, 1001. And because the clock only
> goes up to 23.59, it is something that will never happen again.

Hi Geoff,

Actually there are several other times and dates with perfect symmetry that
have happened previously. Some of them are:
11:11 am, November 11, 1111
11:01 am, November 11, 1011
10:11 am, November 11, 1101
10:01 am, November 11, 1001
12:21 pm, November 11, 1221
13:31 pm, November 11, 1331
Also these same times and years will work with the center date being:
                  December 21
(I didn't use October 1 unless you want to write it 10/01)

Other possible dates are Jan. 1, Feb. 2, March 3, ....are symmetrical if
written (1/1, 2/2, ...) but wouldn't be symmetrical if using a digital clock
(01/01...).

In the future other dates with perfect symmetry, other than the one you
named, will be:
21:12 pm, either November 11 or December 21, 2112

Thanks again for hosting (w/ Steve) the Tucson party. It was a great time,
especially putting faces with names.

Sincerely,
Frank