[meteorite-list] Earth Impactors

From: EL Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:00:10 2004

Hello Walter, List
for pieces to survive in tact.&nbsp; Without specifics, I recall generally
that objects over 1 meter don't lose all their cosmic energy before striking
the surface.&nbsp; The larger the object the more retained cosmic energy.&nbsp;&nbsp;
And as Rob said--Depends on what you call wide spread destruction.&nbsp;
The best studied non asteroidal crater, I suppose, is Meteor Crater(sic)/Canyon
Diablo(CD)&nbsp; Someone estimated the CD zone of destruction at 400 miles(640
km) in radius where most surface life was killed outright.
is to completely vaporize.&nbsp; Probably 99.9% of CD was "mistified "
into iron droplets.&nbsp; The specimens recovered on the adjacent plane
are thought to have shed off before impact.&nbsp; There are some from the
crater rim that have distorted Widmanst&auml;tten lines and diamonds which
would indicate great pressure&nbsp; but doesn't reveal conclusively if
these were part of the swarm caught in the blowout or were at the rear
of the disintegrating impactor.&nbsp; My recollection is that&nbsp; drilling
operations encountered metal below the crater floor, but again we don't
know if this was a core , fallback, or part of the shed of material which
formed the swarm.&nbsp; I think Wolf Creek is the next smaller crater of
recent age and I don't know anything of its history/research.
while survive in some semblance of its original form. Hoba, estimated at
60 tonnes, apparently did not disintegrate but did bury up around meters
in solid limestone. ( figure out that crushing force -you construction
engineers) Even this size didn't spald a substantial amount of adjacent
rock to have caused local , little-alone wide spread, destruction.&nbsp;&nbsp;
So&nbsp; my swag is bigger than a bread box and smaller than&nbsp; a soccer
field.
that my figures are old recollections and may not be wholly accurate.
does an object have to be for it not to vaporize completely upon plunging
through Earth's atmosphere, i.e., for there to be anything sizeable left
to cause wide destruction once it hits the ground (or water)?"I know that
the answer is not an easy one and there are numerous variables involved
(e.g., type of material involved, angle of entry, definition of "wide destruction,"