[meteorite-list] Blades for iron meteorites

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:14:09 2004

--- "PolandMET.com" <marcin_at_polandmet.com> wrote:
> Hey again tooday.
> What blades You recommended for cuttind iron
> meteorites like nantans or
> canyon diablo ?
>
> When I try to cut my new nantan using my standard
> USSR blades (around 20
> years old production but still best quality) 15cm x
> 0.5mm thick, nantan
> destroy it. Diamonds from one side was wear out more
> that from other side.
>
> Now I buy blades from www.jbfc.com but they looks
> verry delicate and I dont
> want to use them to cut any iron (only chondrites).
> One guy tell me that he
> use MK1000 blades.
>
> For example, I buy normal blade (not diamond blade)
> for cutting iron things
> (pipes, ironplates etc). On 2800rpm and water
> cooling I cut 5 hours !!!
> fragment around 3x3cm :))))))
> This was terrible.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> -----[ MARCIN CIMALA ]-----[ I.M.C.A.#3667 ]-----
> http://www.Meteoryt.net
> marcin_at_meteoryt.net
> http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
> http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195
> --------[ Member of: Polish Meteoritical Society
> ]--------

Hello,

I think that you would do better to get a quality band
saw with a carbide band saw blade. Set the cutting
speed slow, using a light setting on the blade
pressure, and then pour a lot of coolant on the
surface on cutting.

This type of saw will cut iron meteorites, (any
meteorite, stones included) very well and with a flat
surface resulting.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey