[meteorite-list] Putorana vs Vaca Muerta Mesosiderite

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:33 2004

Hello All,

Recently I received a thin section from Jeff Rowell of the Putorana pseudo-
mesosiderite (not a meteorite). Well tonight I looked at it and my Vaca Muerta
section that is silica rich for comparison...and they do not anything alike.
The Putorana section I bought is also mostly from the stone phase and it looks
more like a basalt (which it is) or a plagioclase feldspar rich gabbro.

The Putorana is jammed full of twinning plagioclase, similar to a eucrite like
a Millbillillie. The Vaca Muerta is also known for eucrite inclusions, but it
is not a plagioclase rich eucrite.

Thought I'd share the results of my comparison. By the way the Putorana makes
for a beautiful section if you are into terrestrials like myself.

John