[meteorite-list] impact area

From: Paul Heinrich <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:36 2004

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Jackson b0rtz2003_at_yahoo.com

>It is unrelated Steve. The gentleman is in the
Ozarks.

If he is in the Ozarks, he could talking about
the Weaubleau structure as discussed below.

>Proof is coming. One way or the other. I trust
>you'll accept the assessment of a Caltech impact
>geologist.

If a person would read the abstract about the
suspected California crater, a person will find
that they readily admit that it being an impact
crater is just one of several possible hypotheses
for its origin. they readily admit that the
origin of the California feature is uncertain.
they are arguing that this feature is worthy of
further study. The URL for the possible California
crater abstract is:

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2002CD/finalprogram/abstract_35124.htm

There is a large geologic structure in the Ozarks,
which is hypothesized to be an impact structure.
It could be what the gentleman is talking about
as it has been published locally in the papers.

Some URLs are:

Popular Articles:

1. Evidence of meteorite found near Osceola
Crater could be one of the largest in the
United States by Mike Penprase, Springfield
News-Leader, April 12, 2003

http://news.ozarksnow.com/news/meteor041203.html

2. Meteor crater could be one of the largest in
the United States, The Daily Journal - Missouri
News, Apr 15, 2003

"SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- Researchers at Southwest
Missouri State University are investigating claims
of a nearby meteor crater that stretches 12 miles
wide and was created some 350 million years ago."

http://news.ozarksnow.com/news/meteor041203.html

Technical articles

1. Evans, K. R.,Mickus, K. L., Fagerlin, S.,
Luczaj, J., Mantei, E., Miller, J. F., Moeglin,
T., Pavlowsky, R. T., and Thomson, K. C., 2003,
New dimensions of the Weaubleau structure: a
Possible Meteorite Impact Site in Southwestern
Missouri. Geological Society of America
North-Central Section - 37th Annual Meeting
(March 24-25, 2003), Session No. 17,
Midwest Intraplate Seismicity

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2003NC/finalprogram/abstract_49916.htm
http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2003NC/finalprogram/session_3533.htm

2. SMSU Geologists Investigate Large Meteorite
Impact Site in Southwest Missouri

http://geosciences.smsu.edu/factsheets/factsheet0503.html

They illustrate planar deformation features
(PDFs) in:

http://geosciences.smsu.edu/FactSheets/SMSUgeoscienceFactsheet01.pdf

Your,

Paul