[meteorite-list] Matteo's Challenge Answered(was India #2)

From: GT40dawg_at_aol.com <GT40dawg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:26 2004

-------------------------------1065917149

To all involved:

I've read only a couple of e-mails concerning this argument. From what I
gather, it seems that some folks are having a hard time authenticating either the
validity of a meteorite, or the classification of a meteorite specimen.

For those of us who are fortunate have access to equipment such as electron
microprobes and SEMs, classification of meteorites is not difficult. It is far
easier and faster to deal with a researcher outside of the "academic circle".
 I have been finding a great deal of success classifiying NWAs using polished
thick sections.

Granted, the classifications wouldn't be "official" as per the Nomenclature
Committee, but isn't it better knowing that you have, for example, an unnamed
H4 NWA, than just a plain old unclassified NWA?

Randy in N.O.

-------------------------------1065917149

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>To all involved:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I've read only a couple of e-mails concerning this argument.&nbsp; From=
 what I gather, it seems that some folks are having a hard time authenticati=
ng either the validity of a meteorite, or the classification of a meteorite=20=
specimen.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For those of us who are fortunate have access to equipment such as elec=
tron microprobes and SEMs, classification of meteorites is not difficult.&nb=
sp; It is far easier and faster to deal with a researcher outside of the "ac=
ademic&nbsp;circle".&nbsp; I have been finding a great deal of success class=
ifiying NWAs using polished thick sections.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Granted, the classifications wouldn't be "official" as per the Nomencla=
ture Committee, but isn't it better knowing that you have, for example, an u=
nnamed H4 NWA, than just a plain old unclassified NWA?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Randy in N.O.</DIV></BODY></HTML>