[meteorite-list] mean streets of PF

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:49 2004

Dear Joseph and List Members,

We had gang members come up to us and ask if we were interested in buying a
meteorite. We said sure until they asked us to go around the corner to take
a look at it. We asked what was wrong with looking at it in the open. We
got a bad feeling and walked towards a bank with outside cameras and only
then did they go away. It was obvious they were not there to deal. I am
sure they were going to try and take our money and meteorites.

Yes, we have been to much more dangerous places than South Chicago. The
majority of the people were nice but there is definitely a bad element in
the low income areas. Yes, a crazy lady made remarks and chased us down. I
have a feeling that you might be insinuating that this is made up. She
seemed overly protective of her particular neighborhood. In other
neighborhoods we sensed some kind of territory thing going on. One group
told us the sidewalks were off limits when we had permission to search them.

We saw several instances of greed and fraud taking place. Half the people
would not sign affidavits regarding the history of the particular stones
leading me to believe several things were made up in order to increase the
street price. It was worse than a third world country when it came to
telling the truth for some finders trying to sell their stones. Others were
completely honest and great to deal with. I guess it is like anywhere in
the US in some ways but in others it is not.

All the best,

Adam