[meteorite-list] Re: H/L 3-4

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:55 2004

bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de wrote:

>While we are at it, Tuesday, 09 September, Matt wrote to the List:
>
>"I will be at the [Denver] show from Tues thru
>Sun with my bag of goodies, ... a new H/L3-4"
>
>Has anybody seen this "unique jewel" yet? I have! I can tell you that
>this beauty will blow your socks off at least twice. There hasn't been
>any H/L3-4 so far and thus this new meteorite is truly unique. It looks
>like an unequilibrated LL3.x and is loaded with lots of colorful clasts,
>chondrules and chondrule fragments. What a meteorite !!!
>
>If you should think there is something like an H/L3-4 - no, there isn't.
>What I did find in my dtabases is this:
>
>Bremervörde (H/L3.9) - Tieschitz (H/L3.6) - Haxtun (H/L4)
>Yamato 74645 (H/L4) - Yamato 8424 (H/L)
>
>Best regards,
>
>Bernd
>
>To: mmorgan_at_mhmeteorites.com
>Cc: martinh_at_isu.edu
> meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com

Thanks Bernd for the kind words. For those who have not seen this rare
beauty, here is an image of it that Bernd saw....
http://www.mhmeteorites.com/images/ll3-med.jpg

Note this IS the only H/L 3-4 and as you can see it does look like a low
grade LL3. But the chemistry showed it to be a transitional chondrite.
 Perhaps some researcher will figure out which sub group of the type-3
chondrites it belongs to.

I will post some pieces to the list once I have the slices prepared. It
will be quite affordable so you can fill a new "hole" in your collection.
Take care,

--
Matt Morgan