[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry letter, Dec. 2, 1949

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:12 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0027_01C41C7D.623DE610

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
AMERICAN METEORITE MUSUEM
OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66
POST OFFICE BOX 1171
WINSLOW ARIZONA
December 2, 1949
Mr. Stuart Perry
Adrian, Michigan

Dear Mr. Perry:
I am sending you a section of a broken bolt from an old smelter furnace. =
It was a hinge bolt on the furnace door. It struck me as being most inter=
esting and I should like your reaction to it.
You may keep it on the condition that you furnish me three photos of it: =
(1) of the broken section x 1; (2) of the polished section x 1, and (3) o=
f a micro photo of a portion of the etched section showing both granular =
and the Neuman-lined area.
Also in the package is a sample of a 286 lb. meteorite which is suppose t=
o be on the way from South America. I received a sample from apparently t=
he same mass some years ago, bit only recently have been able to arrange =
for its purchase. The cost laid down here will be approximately $500.00 n=
ot counting the cost of locating, ect. Would you like to pay $450 for hal=
f of this mass if and when it arrives, if I care for the cutting and ship=
ping?
Sincerely,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger

(Letter transcribed by Mark Bostick, www.meteoritearticles.com)

------=_NextPart_001_0027_01C41C7D.623DE610

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)</P> <P>AMERICAN METEORITE MUS=
UEM</P> <P>OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66</P> <P>POST OFFICE BOX 11=
71</P> <P>WINSLOW ARIZONA</P> <P>December 2, 1949</P> <P>Mr. Stuart Perry=
</P> <P>Adrian, Michigan</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Dear Mr. Perry:</P> <P>I am=
 sending you a section of a broken bolt from an old smelter furnace. It w=
as a hinge bolt on the furnace door. It struck me as being most interesti=
ng and I should like your reaction to it.</P> <P>You may keep it on the c=
ondition that you furnish me three photos of it: (1) of the broken sectio=
n x 1; (2) of the polished section x 1, and (3) of a micro photo of a por=
tion&nbsp;of the etched section showing both granular and the Neuman-line=
d area.</P> <P>Also in the package is a sample of a 286 lb. meteorite whi=
ch is suppose to be on the way from South America. I received a sample fr=
om apparently the same mass some years ago, bit only recently have been a=
ble to arrange for its purchase. The cost laid down here will be approxim=
ately $500.00 not counting the cost of locating, ect. Would you like to p=
ay $450 for half of this mass if and when it arrives, if I care for the c=
utting and shipping?</P> <P>Sincerely,</P> <P>(signed)</P> <P>H.H. Nining=
er</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>(Letter transcribed by Mark Bostick, <A href=3D"h=
ttp://www.meteoritearticles.com">www.meteoritearticles.com</A>)</P> <P>&n=
bsp;</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0027_01C41C7D.623DE610--