[meteorite-list] Agreements with property owners

From: John K. Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:12 2004

Maria and List,
It's important to remember that private property owners should be treated
with respect and that their rules, requests and instructions be followed to
the letter. It doesn't take too much for a land owner to get annoyed and
close access to his property permanently.

Those who have been on the list for a while can remember this topic being
discussed a few years back. At that time, an issue was brought to light
where a "meteorite hunter" had left behind some trash on private land
resulting in the owner denying any further access to his property. I've
been on both sides of the fence with this issue, so I can speak from
experience. My family owned two different ranches in Southern Arizona and
it was common for folks to want access to our land. Theses weren't
meteorite hunters, but rather hunters