[meteorite-list] Earths core

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 9 12:03:39 2004

Goran,

>> OK, just forget the last reply I made in this thread. I'm feeling old.....<<

It's all right, I am actually a Nuclear Engineer myself (I design Radiation detectors), and I didn't understand most of it either! :)

It would explain the origin of helium 3 that is found in deep geological samples..

"Nuclear fission, as shown in the present paper, provides a viable mechanism for the deep-Earth production of 3He, rather than the assumed origin from a yet non-degassed part of the Earth. The helium observed in such geological samples, the authors suggest, may be evidence of deep-Earth nuclear fission"

Interesting subject though, Show's how little we really know, about what's under our feet! And indeed above our heads..

Very Best,
Mark