[meteorite-list] Are Meteorites For Boys Only?

From: J. Devon <musnat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 21 17:58:05 2004

This is an interesting question. I have been a collector for some time now,
and I was one of those kids who always came home with a pocket full of rocks
from wherever I went. Sometimes I liked the way they felt, sometimes the
color, sometimes the shape, sometimes I liked it because it looked like a
horse or a potato or a car. My class went on a field trip once to Franklin
Mines in NJ, and many of the rocks were fluorescent. My mother had told me
I could only bring home what I could carry myself, so I brought an old army
duffle bag and dragged home 80 pounds of rocks! : )

When I was 10, we did some excavation work at my house and after much
begging, my parents let me keep the massive dirt pile that was the end
result of it all. I would sit for hours, literally, cracking open rocks to
see what was inside.

When anyone I know went somewhere on vacation, I'd always ask for a rock.
Not something purchased wholesale and sold in a local rock shop, but an
actual piece of the place. It was not only a study (for me) of what that
distant place was *made* of, but also interesting to see what kind of rock
that particular person would choose, and where they would choose it from (an
interesting historical site, an interesting geological site, or just a
random rock somewhere that caught their eye).

I was very good in science in school, but once the study of a particular
subject got too far into minute details, it would lose interest for me. I
love biology, geology, chemistry, and to some extend physics too. I like
mathematical theory, but nothing involving actual numbers! I guess I'm more
of a concept/theory person rather than a nuts & bolts/practical
application/statistics person. I don't know if this is more true of women,
or not. And as for gemstones, I love them but never wear them. Go figure!

I absolutely love meteorites, but perhaps not for the same reasons that many
on this list do. I don't really consider them an investment, I don't really
pay too much attention to the very detailed chemistry of a particular
specimen. I try not to let collecting become anything that brings me
frustration, so I don't really keep tabs on the "politics" of collecting, or
who is undercutting who in price. But, I do love them, for probably the
same reason I loved getting rocks from wherever my family and friends
traveled. It is a piece of somewhere. Some very real place where no one has
been, with a very real story if only it could let us know. It is a link and
a *connection* to something entirely "other". And yes, sometimes I just
have to have a meteorite for the way it looks, or feels, for its story, or
sometimes even just for the name. This may seem frivolous and unscientific
but it makes me happy so I just go with it! Same with astronomy. I love
looking at planets, stars, northern lights, meteor showers, you name it. I
have a great telescope, but the equipment itself doesn't do much for me the
way it does for some people. It's the feeling of being able to be connected
to the universe in some way that eludes you in day to day life.

I think that maybe collecting is more of a personality thing, rather than a
gender thing although with those statistics it's hard to argue there isn't a
gender bias. I have trained many employees at my store to sell meteorites
over the years, and many of them have become collectors too. Women seem
just as interested as men, for the most part. But you would have to expect
that anyone working in my store is already going to be predisposed to liking
the natural sciences.

Alright, I've rambled on far too much and all I can provide is anecdotal
information for one person after all!

Back to lurking!
Jeannie