[meteorite-list] benguerir fall

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 4 05:56:36 2004

Hiho,

sometimes I mean to hear a certain tenor in that mails, which annotate, that
now the Morrocans ask to high prices.
Why should they not ask prices, which are closer to that, what a collector
has to pay?
Meteorites are meteorites, no matter where they fall. What is the difference
between a Park Forest and this new fall? Why is it o.k. to sell Park Forest
at 40$/g, as you may see on some webpages and this new fall should be to
expensive with it's 6$?
Why should we expect the Morrocans to continue to sell their meteorites at
prices of a small fraction of that, what you'll find on the dealers pages or
on ebay?
O.k. in general the stuff has no field data and one has to do the
classification and the preparation, but the prices at which they sold in
past the achondrites f.e. were often ridicolous compared to those, paid
later by the collectors (just take a look to the dealer's list).
They found the stones, they brought them to market and many of us made some
good bucks in reselling them.
Imagine, if from the beginning on the Marrocains would have sold it directly
on ebay to the collectors...
Of course 6$/g buying price is not attractive for resale, but as a
collector's price for a fresh new fall certainly not to high.
And in general, if they start to sell more expensive, the retail prices will
raise, the profit marge may be a little bit shorter for a certain time, but
all in all, demand&supply I learned here on the list, it stays the same for
the resellers.

Or shall we regard the Morrocains because the living standard in Morrocco is
lower than in Europe and USA as impudent, because they ask now prices closer
to that here asked?
The approaching meteorite does not choose where to fall, Morrocans are not
second-class-people.
If one thinks, that it's to expensive - leave it and say just, bravo Matteo,
"no thanks" without complains.

My thoughts.
(If a new OC will fall in my backyard, be sure that I ask more than 6 bucks
per gram. O.k. if it's a large one, perhaps to the closest collector friends
and to those, who donated and helped in Romania, I would make a low price..)
Martin