[meteorite-list] How to do it yourself

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 11 15:48:46 2004

Dana wrote:

> I am wondering how a person can learn to identify mineral
> content of rocks? I am always seeing olivine 49.2%, ect.

Dave responded:

> May I suggest acquiring my favorite book and this is one you
> should own. Audubon Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals (about $22).

Hello Dana and List,

With regard to meteorites, there are
5 useful sources I'd like to point out:

1) NORTON O.R. (2002) Tha Cambridge Encyclopedia
   of Meteorites (Cambridge University Press, pp. 354).

2) Joel Schiff's Meteorite Magazine which contains a lot of basic
  (meteorite- and meteoritic mineral-related) information:

  http://www.meteor.co.nz/

3) MacKENZIE W.S. and ADAMS A.E. (1995, 1996, 2000) A Color Atlas of Rocks
   and Minerals in Thin Section (J. Wiley & Sons, N. York-Toronto, 192 pp.).

For the advanced amateur:

DODD R.T., HUTCHISON R. (2004) Meteorites: A Petrologic, Chemical,
and Isotopic Synthesis (Cambridge Planetary Science Series).

NESSE W.D. (2004) Introduction to Optical Mineralogy
(*Third* (!) Edition, Oxford University Press, 348 pp.).

Excerpt from a review by M. Genge, Imperial College London (Department of
Earth Science and Engineering): Introduction to Optical Mineralogy is very
close to my idea of a perfect mineralogy book, and is worth investigating if
you find yourself puzzled when squinting down the microscope eyepiece with
an expectant student awaiting your authoritative opinion with baited breath.
(MAPS 39-3, 2004, pp. 499-500).

Best wishes,

Bernd