[meteorite-list] harrison "jack"schmidt

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 17 19:54:08 2004

Hello Steve and List,

Harrison "Jack" Schmitt was the Lunar Module Pilot for Apollo 17. He was
actually the only trained scientist (geologist) to land on the moon and had
to learn to fly to become an astronaut. Schmitt bumped Joe Allen, who was
the original Apollo 17 LMP, when the scientific community complained that no
trained scientest had landed on and studied the moon. Allen later flew the
space shuttle.

Here is perhaps the most famous picture from the Apollo 17 flight:

http://www.branchmeteorites.com/misc/schmitt.jpg

Apollo 17 was our last manned flight to the moon and brought back 243 lbs of
moon rocks.

-Walter