[meteorite-list] crust on Meteorites on Mars ?

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:00 2004

--part1_142.2020ac8a.2d2f0c2f_boundary

En un mensaje con fecha 01/08/2004 1:08:33 PM Mexico Standard Time,
Z.Gabelica_at_uha.fr escribe:

> I assume (unless I miss something important) that a meteorite falling on
> Mars would not carry any kind of fusion crust because of the particular tiny
> atmosphere (friction and melting minimized or nil, especially if oxygen is
> hardly present)

Hello, isn't, the fusion crust is caused by friction = heating ablation alone
and is independent of oxygen? Also, there is plenty of atmosphere to cause
ablation on Mars, just much more likely that the impact occurs while ablation
is still in process, or not cooled as much as on Earth, for all except small
pieces, and that larger pieces survive passage of the atmosphere to have fate
determined at impact.

And tektites should be very common on Mars...it would probably be an
excellent place for a meteorite hunter to make a tektite collection. Perhaps red like
Sahara Glasses are common.

Saludos
Doug Dawn
Mexico

--part1_142.2020ac8a.2d2f0c2f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">En un mensaje con fecha 01/08/2004=20=
1:08:33 PM Mexico Standard Time, Z.Gabelica_at_uha.fr escribe:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I assume (unless I miss somethi=
ng important) that a meteorite falling on<BR>
Mars would not carry any kind of fusion crust because of the particular tiny=
<BR>
atmosphere (friction and melting minimized or nil, especially if oxygen is<B=

hardly present)</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Hello, isn't, the fusion crust is caused by friction =3D heating ablation al=
one and is independent of oxygen?&nbsp; Also, there is plenty of atmosphere=20=
to cause ablation on Mars, just much more likely that the impact occurs whil=
e ablation is still in process, or not cooled as much as on Earth, for all e=
xcept small pieces, and that larger pieces survive passage of the atmosphere=
 to have fate determined at impact.<BR>
<BR>
And tektites should be very common on Mars...it would probably be an excelle=
nt place for a meteorite hunter to make a tektite collection.&nbsp; Perhaps=20=
red like Sahara Glasses are common.<BR>
<BR>
Saludos<BR>
Doug Dawn<BR>
Mexico</FONT></HTML>

--part1_142.2020ac8a.2d2f0c2f_boundary--