AW: [meteorite-list] General Meteorite Interest HasIncreased100%InLast Year

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 1 13:44:15 2004

on 10/1/04 9:09 AM, Bernhard Rems at rendelius_at_rpgdot.com wrote:

> It's funny to see how much people charge for international shipping, by
> the way. Some do it for $1 (well, one does *g*), most are under $5.
> Some, the greedy ones, charge $7 and up.
-----------
Hi Burnhard & list members,
        Not sure where you live, but I charge ACTUAL COST.
(Of course, no fee for "handling" - which is, indeed, a
cut and dried rip off).
        However, "greedy ones charge $7 and up" has me
confused, as nearly all registered mail (which I use for
ALL overseas shipping, as it is the ONLY way to guarantee
delivery, other than FED EX, which is more expensive)
costs about $12 these days (it varies from $11+ to $12+
accept to Japan, where it costs $25!)
        All others (within the US) are a flat 3.85 + insurance ($2 first
$100, $1 each additional $100). Insurance is optional, but
recommended.
        Canada is the exception, where I can send Global Priority
for $7, but I still recommend registered, as even without insurance,
it is nearly 100% reliable. MOST out of US buyers want to avoid
import fees, so, want no insurance. Fine, but not at MY risk. So,
registered is THE way to go.
        (I also pack it safely enough that I can literally toss it across
the room and bounce it off the wall with no fear whatsoever of
damage to the specimen - I KNOW some nit wit is actually going
to do this in transit, so, failure to prepare for same is just plane
stupid. Of course, there is no fee for this. People who charge
"handling fees" are outrageous in my book)
        So, when you say "greedy ones charge $7 and up" this does
not make sense to me (Unless, of course, you are in the US and so
is the seller - in which case, INDEED, that would be a rip off - unless
insurance brought it to that level).
        Best wishes, Michael