AW: [meteorite-list] General Meteorite InterestHasIncreased100%InLast Year

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 1 14:23:17 2004

Dear everyone associated with this post,

We advertise eBay shipping prices based in the U.S. and then go from there.
In EVERY eBay auction notice after win, eBay includes the following message
to the winning bidder:

>>Your payment instructions to buyer:
Thank you for bidding with us. Please add the shipping amount indicated if
you are in the United States, if you are NOT in the U.S., please email me
your shipping address so I can quote the proper shipping amount for you. If
you have won more than one auction, email me a list of auction numbers AND
descriptions along with your shipping address so I can quote combined
shipping and/or insurance. Thank you.
<<

If this is not clearly our way of asking all winners to contact us regarding
"actual" shipping costs, then I don't know what is. Also, it clearly states
we combine shipping to save the buyer costs. Sure, sometimes the actual
amount will be a few cents more and, most often than not, the amount is
higher and we pick up the extra costs.

I will only ship Priority in the U.S. due to the fact that I can use the
post office Priority boxes which provide protection against damage, much
better than a padded envelope! I ship overseas packages typically in a box
for same reason, and if a single item is durable, I will send in a padded
envelope at a lesser rate than advertised.

If a buyer pays a higher price for shipping and I catch it, I will contact
them and inform them of this and to have free or discounted shipping next
package. Almost all of our customers are return bidders so within the first
couple transactions everyone is in tune to our way of shipping and can
expect to pay for protected shipping.

General question to all, would you rather have protected shipments in a box
or run the risk of having damaged goods from a padded envelope?? I, for one,
prefer to feel confident that the item being shipped to me will arrive in
one piece. Sure, accidents happen or an unseen fracture in the specimen will
show up during shipping. The postal workers are not the most careful bunch
in the world, but with boxes, you get better insurance of safe arrival.
Bottom line, you get what you pay for!

Enough said on this topic, I have better things to do like package material
to be shipped to happy customers, most in boxes!

Have a great weekend to all,

Greg Hupe
meteoritelab
naturesvault