[meteorite-list] Shipping Internationally

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 1 14:12:07 2004

"I do all this strictly for fun. If there are mailing
(h)eadaches, it is not fun." ...Martin H. (2004)

Martin, List,

I am looking for a monument in my city to inscribe the above
quote credited to its owner. I may even have to resort to
graphitti. But that "fun" of Martin has been contageous not
only for me, but for others, thanks to a superspecial shipping
maneuver he executed to absolute perfection and on top of
that, with the nicest greeting card enclosed.

Registered, regular mail, whatever, while you all debate
conclusively or not the verdict, in Mexico my limited
experience has been everything "worse than suspected", each
list email on the subject reminds me that I have dealt with a
couple of dealers who truly are gold standard for which I am
very satisfied, but Martin certainly gets the Highest Diamond
Peridot Meteorite award on a personal note.

Receiving those meteorites was so much fun, perhaps this email
will help ease my sense of gratuitude, which has also been
knawing at me ever since, each time I share those specimens
with someone who shares the wonder we all have here.

And even a copy of the original label?...:-)

Saludos, Doug

Martinh_at_isu.edu escribe:

Hi List,

I usually charge $3 for shipping on order under $200. That is $1 for a padded envelope, ~$1.00-$1.50 postage, and $0.45 for delivery conformation. Any money made on shipping is likely 50 cents or less, but often I absorb a greater cost when I include the specimen in a plastic case if it is fragile, or if it is heavy but inexpensive.

I like to retain control over shipping choices on sales over $200 based upon where the piece is going, how it needs to be packed, and to whom it is being sent (since some collectors are higher maintenance than others). Therefore, I pay shipping on those orders so I can do it however I see fit.

I do all this strictly for fun. If there are mailing eadaches, it is not fun.

Martin