[meteorite-list] Hualapai Wash serie

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:57 2005

John Gwilliam wrote:

> Whether or not any more of the HW series received
> official recognition is something I don't know, but
> I've heard that most of them were the product
> of some overly enthusiastic finder(s).

Ah, John,

Always the spin-doctor.

The H. Wash series of numbers is a "product" of the
Gold Basin meteorite not being properly classified.

Even you, John, have to admit that had Gold Basin been
properly classified as a L4-6, that the name Hualapai
Wash would have no need to have ever come into
existence.

The fact of the matter is that if it weren't for the
H. Wash series of numbers, the reclassification of
Gold Basin would have never taken place. The
unanswered question remains, why did it take so long
and why did it take 20 HWs before anything was done?

What, John?
You thought you would have the last word on this?
;-)
Bob V.

------------------------------------
[meteorite-list] Hualapai Wash serie
JKGwilliam h3chondrite at cox.net
Wed Mar 16 11:13:03 EST 2005

If my memory is correct, most of the Hualapai Wash
meteorites submitted to the Meteoritical Society were
considered part of the Gold Basin meteorite.
There are a couple of exceptions to this. The
original Hualapai Wash is listed in Meteorites from A
to Z and Hualapai Wash 021 (found by John Blennert
many years ago) is in one of the recent Meteoritical
Bulletins.
Whether or not any more of the HW series received
official recognition is something I don't know, but
I've heard that most of them were the product
of some overly enthusiastic finder(s).

Best,

John Gwilliam