[meteorite-list] Canyon Diablo & nomenclature...was (Is AmgalaOfficial?/NewBulletin)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 11 13:45:32 2005

Tom, Mark, Jeff, "Mexico Doug" and list,

Most 1891 references I have seen note the place as "Canon Diablo", so I
guess we are lucky that is not the name.

Mark's e-mail got me wondering. According to the crater people, it was the
1970's when Shoemaker found coesite there. If you have read any of
Barringer's early reports, ~1902, one has to be amazed they didn't accept it
as a meteorite crater then. I do like the famous Mars meteorite quote,
"Extraordinary claims required extraordinary evidence.", and I understand
the need for caution.

Of course our knowledge of craters was quite limited then,Barringer did
however, note the uplifted rim, the huge blocks of rock displaced and most
importantly, that it was undisturbed under the crater. Add his distribution
map and it appears to be a slam dunk.

So, when was the crater "officially" recognized?

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com