[meteorite-list] AD - A FEW DANDYS

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 21 09:30:25 2005

Mark,

Your concern about "accepted" vs. "official" has also been addressed by
Jeff (am I the only one who saves his posts?). Here is the entire
process as he has described it to us; your meteorite seems to have made
it to stage 7 or 8 (still subject to revision and not "official"):

1) A new meteorite is characterized in the laboratory
2) The information is submitted to the Nomenclature Committee, usually
to one of the Associate Editors (AEs), but sometimes directly to the Editor.
3) The AE acknowledges receipt of the information and tells you that all
is in order.
4) The AE transfers the information to the Editor of the Bulletin.
5) The Editor assembles information on all meteorites sent in by the AEs
and sends it to the entire NomCom for a vote.
6) The Editor receives the votes and decides if each meteorite has been
approved. The appropriate AE is informed of the decision.
7) The AE tells you either (a) the name is approved or (b) the name did
not pass.
8) For approved meteorites, the text or information you submitted is
eventually edited for publication. You may get an advance copy of this
text, but sometimes not. A provisional Bulletin may appear on the web.
  All text at this stage is subject to further revision.
9) The Bulletin is submitted to MAPS for publication. At this point,
all entries are final and can be quoted directly, without qualification.

MARK BOSTICK wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I guess I will clarify a little. If you really want to get technical.
> A meteorite is not official until the Bulletin goes from provisional to
> official. For our next batch that won't be until 4-5 months from now.
> (Its usually Aug. or Sept.)
>
> Now lets take the last meteorite me and Jerry have put the ringer,
> Kansas State University. I was e-mailed on February 3, by Rhrian Jones,
> who's job is the US part of the meteorites for the NomCom, that "The
> meteorite "Kansas State University" has been voted on and accepted."
>
> So if you want we can add another term "accepted", but I think most of
> us would be willing to say it is official. Or at least that it was no
> longer provisional.
>
> Look over Bob Vernish's articles in Meteorite Times the last couple
> months. These were about US meteorites that will be, and likely in his
> article, some that didnt make it into the bulletin.
>
> Clear Skies,
> Mark

David