[meteorite-list] Preliminary MOSS meteorite classification

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Aug 31 12:21:02 2006

Hi all -

A little blue sky here - I hope this makes sense -

Because of the difference in fragmentation of
asteroids and comets, any regular annual pattern of C
falls would argue for a cometary source. But even a
comet debris stream in an ellipse will have bulges in
it (years) when C meteorite recovery (and possibly C
meteors) should be best. (Is anoyne doing spectral
work on meteors?)

Meteorites with asteroid source have been assumed to
be random. But there may be two source debris streams
which are non-random: First, debris from the
disintegration of an asteroid which ended up on an
Earth insecting orbit and has either impacted or will
impact. Second, debris thrown out and sent Earthward
by impacts between asteroids.

But to even start analysis you'd need a substantial
number of observed falls - how many recovered falls
are there entire?

good hunting -
Ed

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com/msg37371.htm