[meteorite-list] Stan's NWA 2965 EL6/7 (or Aubrite) Meteorite

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:19:19 -0500

Mark,

There is no lack of terminology. Yours is an interesting point if you
consider it an achondrite, rather than some intermediate, and don't want to
get into semantic issues with a nomenclature work-in-progress. David Weir
calls them "Distinct recrystallized oval inclusions". He also suggests the
name "chondrule ghost". You can find more information and another photo on
the meteoritestudies.com website, which I will mention a bit of here:

See:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2005/pdf/1913.pdf
The referenced article from the University of Arizona Laboratory (on
potentially paired NWA 2736) calls them "oval inclusions", allowing the
possibly they could be "relict chondrules" in a "metamorphosed chondrite".
Thus, it sounds to me like some scientists don't feel the classification is
cast in stone any more than the ghosts. So that would leave it to personal
preference since the term you choose can reflect competing hypotheses of
formation for the weathered meteorite.

If the thrust of your email is to reduce it to a one word label we can all
agree upon and won't be too nerdish, and/or don't want to call them any kind
of chondrule because it doesn't fit neatly, I would think in casual
conversation we could just call them "ovals"as an obvious abbreviation for
"oval inclusion".

I think one of David's terms, "ghost chondrules" works best for me since
some people believe in ghosts and others think they are bogus. Another
option for those with a sense of humor could be "DROIDS" = distinct
recrystallized oval inclusion dohickies":-)

Best wishes, Doug