[meteorite-list] Lost/Stolen meteorites

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 06:37:32 -0800

Hi Mike,
        Sorry for the problems you and Jim are having - hope they
resolve easily and quickly.
        You DID bring up a point regarding which I have been very
concerned: I have been told by USPS, UPS & Fed Ex that I would
never be able to collect on insurance for a meteorite because it is
a unique item and, therefore, a replacement price cannot reliably
be placed on it.
        Now, you and I both know that you and I and most dealers
can, in fact, EASILY put a very reasonable "replacement value"
on the majority (99.999%) of meteorites. However, I am wondering
if ANYONE on this list has EVER filled an insurance claim with the
US Post Office, UPS or Fed Ex for a lost meteorite and, if so, whether
it was paid.
        RSVP the list - I am sure everyone would be interested in this
subject - or I should say, the majority, as it seems there are always
at least a few that don't care about whatever is the given topic.
        Thanks, Michael

--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something if his
salary depends on him not understanding it.