[meteorite-list] Membrane Boxes

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 11 18:01:38 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:17:54 +0100, you wrote:

>Huh, where is the problem?
>Hartman is taking for 100 microboxes 1.3$ each.

Meanwhile, I can buy gem jars for around 20 cents each. It's a matter of scale.
I wouldn't worry about a $1 difference in price for something that cost $1000,
or $100. But at $10, it starts to be a factor, and the difference between
something that cost $1.30 and something that cost $0.20 and serves virtually the
same purpose IS going to make a difference in my opinion. I'm not judging the
price that the reseller has to charge, I'm judging the price the manufacturer
charges. With gem jars, you have something that costs a few cents to make and
sells for around 20 cents. With membrane boxes, you have something that costs a
few cents to make and sells for over a dollar. That's my point-- price gouging
by a monopoly single source.

>Wouldn't you make photos of those persons you love, because the albums to
>keep the photos are to expensive?

Not a good analogy. A better one is, would I buy a frame for the picture from
company X at one price, or buy a frame made from the virtually the same amount
of virtually the same materials a different company for 5 or 6 times the price.
You might do that. I wouldn't. (And I haven't made a film-based photo in over
3 years-- I've taken maybe 15,000 with my digital camera since then, and at
least 90 percent of them have never seen paper).