[meteorite-list] Kerala Red Rain... BAT RIDDLE SOLVED, I THINK

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 5 10:41:12 2006

Kevin, List,

    I have no explanations of what happened to the bats.
I have no idea of what happened to the bats. I have no
explanations of how what happened to alien cells, either,
to cause them to rain down for weeks, if they were alien
cells, which they weren't, I don't think. All I'm saying is,
given two hard to comprehend events, which is more likely?

    You know me; as soon as I said it, I thought of an
explanation of what happened to the bats: a hemorrhagic
disorder. The tropics are rife with hemorrhagic diseases of
man and animal. Bats are very susceptible to such disorders,
it seems. I just Googled "hemorrhagic diseases of bats" and
got 78,700 hits. It's a long and nasty list of lyssaviruses,
hentaviruses, and there's several pages of scholarly articles
on "emerging" hemorrhagic diseases of bats at the very top
of that list.

    In case you're not familiar with the horrors of hemorrhagic
diseases, they cause bleeding from every conceivable (and
inconceivable) orifice of the body. Human hemorrhagic diseases
often cause the victim to literally sweat blood. Kerrala is home
to immense bat populations. How about an epidemic of some
bat hemorrhagic disease as the explanation? They would bleed
as they flew until they were too weak to fly. No bat "parts" or
"fragments" involved. Just millions of sick bats dripping blood,
vomiting blood, passing blood, for weeks. It might have been
reported but more probably not, in a rural jungle province.

    Case closed, for me at least. I smack the forehead, like
Hercule Poirot, why I don't think of it before? They mus' be
starved, ze leetle gray cells...

Sterling K. Webb