[meteorite-list] Seeking Knowledge and Dealing with Meteorwrong Owners was Classification Q

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 23 19:15:12 2006

Elton and all,

Well said. I too have been holding back on this
subject, but I agree strongly that to send a certain
meteor-wrong in to be examined by our small and
over-taxed group of classifiers is unconscionable.

The vision rock is a nice rock and has value as a
landscape boulder. Most of the typical cost for such
boulders is associated with their transport costs. I
agree with Elton: why in the world would anyone
assume that this rock has any value beyond that?

Gary, please rethink the idea of wasting the time of
any reputable lab. You are being a nice guy and are
very charitable towards a scam artist. They all seem
sincere. That's how their business works. It is
wrong to represent such a rock as a meteorite, let
alone a Martian. These guys hurt the credibility of
the entire meteorite community.

Deep enough,
Norm
http://TektiteSource.com

<http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/meteorites/what_to_do.html>

<http://groups.msn.com/NewHampshireRocks/_whatsnew.msnw>.

> 2. Contact John Creasy below and see where he refers
> you-- Or the NH
> state geologist
>
> 3. The Pegmatie Workshop is meeting this soon in
> Maine at Poland Mining
> Camp <http://homepage.mac.com/rasprague/PegShop/> I
> don't think this is
> a real pegmatite but these folks spent a lot of time
> with New England
> rocks and might know where it comes from.
>
> 4. If you want to pay for it at around $50+ a pop
> contact Excalibur
> Minerals in Peekskill, NY.
> <http://www.excaliburmineral.com/analysis.htm> for a
> non destructive
> test which may reveal mineral compositions.
>
> I truly hope this helps and you can run this issue
> to ground. If you
> want to believe I am full of hot air that is your
> choice and no foul.
> However when you keep coming to the list--where
> there is probably
> 200-300 man/woman years of meteorite expertise,
> hinting in the back of
> your mind that you yourself are holding out hope
> that this is a
> meteorite then this is way off the radar. We all
> learned by doing and
> by studying but how many miles must you travel down
> a dead end road do
> you have to go to prove it is a dead end like the
> last 15 signs said?
>
> Sincerely,
> Elton
>
> The rest is specifics on NH rocks and on
> metamorphism so only read if
> you are curious.

=== message truncated ===