[meteorite-list] Get a grip....

From: matt <metlist_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:52:29 +0100

I'm reluctant to wade in here, but I was thinking exactly this earlier
too. The idea of the list self regulating just doesn't work. People
mouth off all the time, because they always get away with it. Some
stricter moderation and the majority of problems would be solved. Once
it is made clear that such behaviour will not be tolerated, then most
reasonable people will modify their own posting habits (if necessary)
and those that do not can be removed. I don't want excessive moderation,
but some standards of social decency and responsibility should be upheld.

A handful of people repeatedly ruin this list for the vast majority of
us. This list could (or should) be the centre of intelligent meteorite
related discussion on the net (in actual fact, it seems to me there is
little alternative). Unfortunately, as somebody who has spent a lot of
time enthusing to others about how great meteorite collecting is, and
what interesting items they are in all their variety, I would be very
reluctant to recommend people to join here. That really is a sad state
of affairs....

Matt.