[meteorite-list] Meteorite smugglers anger scientists

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:21:08 -0700 (PDT)

All - This really gets my goat.

>"Many are smuggled to collectors around the world and experts are worried that valuable scientific >research is being lost as a result"
  So if the meteorites remain in the desert, they are more valuable for research.

>"On land, they are most likely to be found near the Equator because it has the largest surface area"
  So this is why so many meteorites are found in Antarctica

>"says some of ?her? meteorites are extremely valuable because, at 4,500 million years old"
  Age determines a meteorite?s value ? also there ?her meteorites? not everyone?s to see and enjoy.

>"But Ms Smith is worried that the craze for meteorite collecting is having a damaging effect on scientific research."
  Wow ? this is crazy, without meteorite hunters Scientists would not have as much to study. In fact they have much MORE!. So not having many meteorites to study explains why it takes over 6 months to get a meteorite classified. And now, they are issuing two Bulletins a year.

>"It has affected our work because we are now competing against private collectors to obtain material for our research."
  How is it competing if scientific Institutions get 20 grams or 20 percent? This assumes the meteorite gets classified.

>"now often come to their final destination at a very surreal place, the internet auction site eBay."
  The evil Ebay

  This is typical for those against capitalism and the free market.

  Adam Hupe ? doesn?t the meteorite pictured look like the one you found in Nevada.

  Again ? Good Luck on that one.

  Greg S

Greg Hupe <gmhupe at tampabay.rr.com> wrote: Dear List,

That article is so full of "crater" holes. If it were not for the private
sector going and collecting and/or buying these stones, there would not be
the physical wealth of material that HAS been provided to scientists all
around the world. I think collectors and/or scientists who claim such
travesties are pretty close-minded. For every classified meteorite (and some
not "officially" classified but samples provided) science get a portion to
study, and in many cases MORE than the required 20 grams or 20%.

Bad press like this will only hurt scientists in general to be able to
obtain samples from these meteorites in the future.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection